NOLA BeeKeeping Laws
New Orleans Louisiana Code of Ordinances City of New Orleans Louisiana ARTICLE VI. HONEY BEES basically states the following rules:
- Hives must be registered annually
- Bees must be kept in standard Langstroth hives with removable frames
- When bees are closer than 25 ft from a neighbor’s property line, you must have a flyaway barrier of at least 6 ft between the properties.
- Beekeeper must provide a water source for bees.
- Apiary must be well kept and be generally maintained to avoid bee robbery.
- Beekeeper must requeen aggressive queens.
- Limit 2 hives per 1/4 acre, 4 for under 1/2 acre, 6 under 1 acre, 8 for 1 acre.
- Apiary must be well marked.
- Apiary shall be open to health inspection officers.